Monday, July 21, 2014

Comic Round Up for the week of 7/16/14

    Heeyyyyy Kids! It’s comic round up day and we have all the party favors bad art, talking raccoons, child abducting celestial gods, and a green beast boy.  But before we get started I must warn all readers that someone has spiked the punch with some minor spoilers so drink at your own risk and if you want to purchase any of the comics you see here today feel free to swing by comoixology or your local comic shop and pick them up.

   Oh! And one more announcement at the end of each roundup I will be picking a panel or page that I thought was the coolest or funniest or just most entertaining scene from this week’s batch of comics.   So now without further adieu let’s get this party started before Nick Fury gets any older.



Original Sin #6
5/5
Nick Fury reveals he’s looking for a replacement and he wants it to be one of those he summoned. So fury’s been taking out bad guys before they have a chance to do any real damage, not really seeing what everyone is all upset about seems like a job well done to me.  All things considered this has been an exciting run but I just want to know who shot the dang watcher and where on earth we are going with this crazy rollercoaster.




Original Sin Hulk vs. Ironman #02
2/5
Tony learns the truth of his responsibility in Banners accident. This is one of those tie-ins that within a year no one will even remember came out and end up having 12 copies in the 5 dollar graphic novel bins at Comic Con. basically if you’re not following this one as its published then it’s kind of pointless to read especially when it really doesn’t make sense that stark would not remember tampering with the gamma bomb.




Uncanny X-men #23
4/5
The x-men deal with the fall out of mystiques hijinks while She-hulk gathers them all togehter to hear the reading of Xavier’s will.  This is a hard one to rate as the story itself is very much a three as it’s just all aftermath and on its own it’s not anything special. On the other hand this issue is filled with a lot of nice independent moments for many characters, and the way the issue builds up the importance of Xavier’s will is well crafted.




Nova #19
3/5
Nova teams up with rocket and tracks down someone who has information about his father.  I’m not a fan of this new team on Nova.  The art for this book makes the heroes look all gangly and anorexic.  The story is pretty average and the dialogue is the same.   The book has unfortunately begun to lack some of the impact of its previous issues. Rocket is still entertaining but really isn’t much more then the gun toting violence lover that everyone has been writing him as lately.




Ms. Marvel #06
4/5
Ms. Marvel ventures into the sewers to find the tinker and finds an unexpected ally.  This cracks me up, it’s only the 6th issue and already we have her teaming up with other heroes, and to make it even better who wins the lucky super hero roulette wheel? Why are unfriendly back ally Wolverine! Didn’t, take long to shoe in that crossover. I guess it must be a rite of passage at marvel, “every new comic hero as to team up with wolverine this is undisputed marvel law. So speaks Stan Lee.” The writing is still fantastic but the art has taken a nose dive from previous issues I hope we go back to the original artist or at least shift this current one out as soon as possible.




Silver Surfer #04
4/5
Silver Surfer drops dawn off back at her home but something is not quite right.  This new run of Silver Surfer is hysterical and very creative. I’ve never seen the surfer treated in this fashion and I like it.  I love seeing the Silver Surfer former herald of the planet eater Galactus treated like just some guy.  I wasn’t sure how I felt about dawn in the beginning but her simple homey ways and unimpressed attitude have become very charming.  I also crack up because we have to shoehorn in the guardians for no real reason other than the fact they have a new movie coming.




She-Hulk #06
1/5             
She-Hulk continues to try and track down the source of the mysterious blue file.   What is this crappy art day at the marvel offices? I’m will admit I’m not a renowned coinsurer of art but this is absolutely atrocious. She-hulk looks mannish or like she was chiseled out of rock and the rest of everything lacks such detail and finesse that it’s actually distracting me from the actual story not that the writing is much better. The story is also a mess as they just drop a major story issue like it was nothing and even make it more confusing through excessive dialogue.





X-Men #16
2/5
The X-Men rush to jubilees rescue.  It’s just not that interesting.  The only thing really keeping me on board with this new X-men run is jubilee. I like what we have done with her and like watching her growth as a character but everyone else just seems to stand around moaning about who’s going to be in charge.




Green Lantern New Guardians #33
3/5
Kyle Rayner and Carol Ferris journey further into the ship of horrors while the guardians learn the identity of their captors.  I have mixed feelings about this issue, while on one had it’s got nice atmosphere and the upgraded Psimons, while I hate to admit it,  are pretty cool but on the flip side the dialogue is rather droll and the Kyle/Ferris Relationship is still stupid. There are just a lot of new 52 pandering and propaganda in these comics and that makes it hard to enjoy.   I also don’t understand even with upgrades why the Psimons are overpowering the Guardians of the universe, you know the guys the Anti-Monitor is afraid of.




Supergirl #33
3/5
Supergirl battles with the world killer and attempts to commit the ultimate sacrifice in order to stop him. The issue has ups and downs. Kara has some great moments towards the end, where she has finally stopped angsting and embraced her more heroic side.  However most of the comic is standard beatemup affair with plenty of text boxes instead of actual dialogue.  I’m also sad to see the red ring go, that was the whole reason I started reading this in the first place so next issue will decide if I keep going or drop the title.




Harley Quinn Invades Comic Con #1
1/5
Exactly as the title says, there’s honestly nothing more to describe.  I get what they were trying to do here but it just falls flat on its face.  The issue makes no real sense and it’s so pandering and self serving that it comes across more obnoxious then adorable.  It’s also really hard to see Harley Quinn do anything cute when she’s running around in her stripper outfit not to mention D.C once again egregiously turning their females into nothing more than sex symbols.  If the issue was shorter I could see a little merit to maybe giving it a once over but at 48 pages it’s really not worth your time.




Robin Rises: Omega #1
2/5
Batman, Ra’s and Frankenstein battle the forces of Apokolips for the chaos shard.   I give up; I do not understand what is canon in the new 52 and what is not. So apparently everything is canon expect what’s not. It’s not that this story is necessarily terrible it’s just that it’s random and a touch pointless.  Is it really necessary for batman to go to war with Apokolips to get robin’s body back?  Why is Darkseid even involved in this plot line?  this really should have been just batman and Ra’s but since we cant we do anything in the new 52 without bringing the crappier version of the justice league into the picture, though with Lex Luthor and captain cold on the team I hardly think Justice is an appropriate term anymore.   Not to mention I’m a little surprised that regular arrows are enough to land mortal blows on parademons.




Teen Titans #01
3/5
The Teen Titans save a runaway bus that’s been hijacked by terrorists.   No lie that’s the entire issue,  Just a bus full of kids and a hint at some mysterious villain who I could care less about.  The series is already off to a rocky start with far too much exposition for expositions sake, we really don’t need the characters to express every single thought in their heads, sometimes less is more.  However I am most grateful that beast boy is finally green again, the whole red beast boy was dumb idea and never should have existed.




Life with Archie #36
3/5
Archie reflects on his life then gets shot and dies.  Ok I I’m going to be civil about this...*snicker*…wait, hold on. No seriously I’m a professional and I refuse to, bwhaahahahhahahahhahahhaahahhahahah wait, wait hold on I Bwahahahhahahahahahaha.  Alright, I’ve got that out of my now I promise. This idea is as ridicules as it sounds. Chock full of obvious foreshadowing and agenda pushing Life with Archie is everything I was expecting it to be, a cheap gimmick to boost sales.  I can’t help but notice that Archie gets shot protecting his gay friend who’s running for mayor from a killer who only targets gay people; I mean you might as well just come right out and announce your political leanings with marching band fanfare.  But the best scene is seeing the spilt malt shake as a representation of death, that had me tearing up in laughter.







And as promised here’s the new feature to the blog, Panel of the Week!



Archie is looking as Batman as he’s ever going to get. How could I not pick this one though I kind of cheated by putting up the malt shake as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment